Sunday 26 April 2015

Furniture Re-vamp

Occasionally I like to undertake a project that requires a little more labour and
 get a lot of satisfaction from re-vamping bits of furniture and giving them a new lease of life.
Hence my next project, this item was made specifically for us by a local carpenter to fit into a gap.
However, with a need for more storage and space to hide stuff it was replaced by a bookcase with doors.
Moving on, I decided to paint the side table type thing with chalk paint by Anne Sloane and distress it to make it appear old and French like.
I treated the knots in the pine and gave it a couple of layers of chalk paint, which dries super fast.


 Next up I sanded back a few of the edges to reveal the wood grain and gave the piece a coating of clear soft wax.

 
This was buffed to a shine around two hours later, now if I was feeling brave I could have applied a tad of dark wax to the edges but I wasn't so I didn't. You can have a little look at loads of on line videos on how to use chalk paint and wax and maybe my next attempt I will be ready to do the dark wax thing too.
A second coat of wax was applied and buffed up as before.
It recommends you wait 72 hours before using it to allow the wax to cure and harden, various videos even suggest for the wax to harden completely it takes up to 3 months.
Watch this space I'll let you know how it goes.


Sue x

1 comment:

  1. Well that was quick looks lovely
    Happy craftin
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete



Thanks so much for leaving a comment, I really enjoy reading every single one of them.
Along with everyone on Blogger I need to comply with the new Data Protection legislation (GDPR). Any comments left here are with your consent that your name & comment are visible to anyone who visits my blog and that you accept that your personal information is being used for that specific purpose.