Sunday, 15 November 2015

SDC221 - Take a Box

Take a Box 

This week over on the Stampotique Design Challenge blog Samantha Read has challenged us to make a project from a box, a cardboard box. I'm sure there was a song about living in a cardboard box once. 

Anyhow moving swiftly on, I took a card box that measured 6.5"x8.5" which had been used and was now empty ready for up cycling and this is what I came up with. 




  I took an A3 piece of card and scored lines down at 7"1"7"1", all will become clear as we all know most score boards are 12"x12". Score at 7" fold and butt this new edge up to the guide, score at 1" fold and butt this new edge up to the guide again score at 7" fold the new edge butt up to guide and finally score the last 1". There should be a small amount left which needs to be trimmed to about 3mm to act as a tuck in flap. That is what is suppose to happen but  I must admit I did go slightly wrong, I had made one of these recently and should have double checked but I was in the flow and dived in, I did correct it though hence why the pictures don't reflect the above correct measurements.
 
Next job was to trim the length, to make life a little easier I folded the A3 card at one of the central score lines and cut it down to 9", this made a wrap to go around the box.  Wet glue was used to secure the box centrally to the inside of the wrap. 
 
 
 Ribbon was then secured around the centre with super sticky double sided tape.


Then came the fun messy bit applying a base coat of colour on three A4 pieces of card. I used pink, orange, yellow and white paint applying it with a sponge randomly.  The excess paint was used up through a TimH line/stripe Stencil randomly on the card and squashing the  round sponge down to create large circles.
 

 
Once dry the next layer was white gesso, lines were applied with the edge of an old credit card, home made stamps were used to add circle prints.
 The paper was cut to size to cover 4 sides 2 x 7"X 9" and 2 x 1"x 9".  
 Black was the next layer a small lid was used to add solid-ish circles in groups of three, the other end of the lid made hollow circles. Sequin waste was used as a stencil to add more detail. White was added with a white sharpie pen. Text was also stamped randomly in Archival watering can. 
 

The edges were aged with Black distress ink, Random stamping of the Stampotique seaweed stamp in black archival on the bottom edge and Stiching was added to the four  pieces then positioned on the box over the ribbon and stuck down. The front image was stamped onto an old book page and coloured with watercolour pencils, White sharpie added more detail the image was then decoupaged onto the front cover. The letters for the words Note Cards were stamped cut out and stuck into position.

Tah Dah! Mission complete.


 

The left over/waste card was used to make small note cards to go inside the box, thank you and just a note sentiments were made with my trusty dymo. That's all for now folks, if you want to have a look at more box project inspiration check out the Stampotique blog here
 
Here are a couple more photos.
 

Sue X







6 comments:

  1. Oh wow, I love this, how you've used the box is perfect. Thanks for joining us at Stampotique this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful Sue and very clever use of a box! So inspirational.
    Thanks so much for joining in with us at Stampotique this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely jubly I can't keep up with at mo Mrs you having lots of fun.
    Happy birthday
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow these look fab! Thanks for joining us at the stampotique designers challenge

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are beautiful, I love what you've done with the box! Thanks so much for joining in with our challenge at Stampotique. Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! Love this <3
    Thank you for joining us at Stampotique Designers Challenge :)

    xx Arwen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment. x