Tuesday 5 August 2014

Summer Holidays

Every year I undertake a summer project which I can fit in between attempting to entertain the girls, cooking, cleaning, ironing, organising new school uniforms, packing for holidays, etc etc.

So this year my project was to revamp an old writing desk.
 


The desk was given to me by a friend,  it was used by her hubby as a child. His mum was moving to a smaller house and had no room for it. 

I must admit I've  had it in the garage for about a year, maybe two waiting for my hubby to take the legs off so that I can get stuck in. When finally he announced he had put a little something on the dinning room table I thought, Yipee, a surprise, what has he bought me?

Anyhow, turned out to be the desk.

I began by taking out the roller top, after a good hoover I sprayed the whole thing with disinfectant to get rid of spiders and creepy crawlers, at this point I had a good look at it make sure no work needed doing.
After sanding I gave it a coat of gesso or two to seal it up and give a nice base for whatever I decided to do.....
Next day I popped to local shop and purchased some good quality thickish papers, graphic45 and others and set about gluing down the papers. It was at this point when I noticed a little white grub hiding in one of the corner compartments and thought, Oh Bother!!!! (that was polite version). 
As I had hoovered disinfected and painted gesso in all possible areas, and already stuck down most of my expensive papers I was a bit down hearted.
Hubby checked out the internet and I decided to seal as much as possible with spray varnish and keep my fingers crossed the little fellas would not make it, I was surprised as I particularly  looked out for woodworm holes before I began and didn't spot any, then again grubs normally are inside the wood having a munch not on top.
 
Back to it.
The roller waspainted with Paperartsy paints, and put back into the guide rails.
To add  detail I stamped images onto tissue paper and stuck it on to the rollers this process didn't do anything for me, so quick as a flash I removed it, now I'm in limbo and have left it with it just painted for the time being.


 More storage just what every crafter needs.......



No comments:

Post a Comment



Thanks so much for leaving a comment, I really enjoy reading every single one of them.
Along with everyone on Blogger I need to comply with the new Data Protection legislation (GDPR). Any comments left here are with your consent that your name & comment are visible to anyone who visits my blog and that you accept that your personal information is being used for that specific purpose.