Saturday, 28 May 2016

Not So Mini Journal

 
Not So Mini Journal
 
As the title suggests this art journal is a tad larger, due to the eldest daughter requesting a larger version to be able to draw in.
 So here goes.
 
Take one large piece of  mixed media card stock 8" x 16".
 
 
Score at 3",3"1/8",3"2/8",3"3/8".
Score again at 9"4/8",9"5/8",9"6/8",9"7/8".
 
 
This is going to make a slightly different book to the  previous mini books made due to the size of the paper I have available.
Next job to stamp in archival ink and mask of the image with masking fluid.
 
 
Other images added to create an interesting backdrop,
 
 
Distress stamp pads were pressed into the cardstock.
 
 
Then misted with water to make the colours run.
 
 
 
This was misted with water  again when dry and removed with kitchen roll to leave a mottled pattern.
 
The masking fluid was removed by gently rubbing with a finger to reveal the un-inked card ready for colouring with water colour pencils. You will have to wait to see the photos and the end of the post as ooops forgot to take a photo.
The back was coloured with a block of colour in the centre and then another colour around it. This was misted with water and removed with kitchen roll to leave a mottled design.
 
 
The whole piece front and back was sealed with mat medium by sponging over the surface,
------------
To make the signatures take cardstock measuring   8" x 11"6/8" score at 5"7/8" and fold, I made 3 signatures using several pages to bulk up the journal.
 
 
 
Pierce holes in spine of signatures. I have done 3 at 1" intervals from the outside edges.
 
 
At this point  I messed up a little, it was getting late and I was being harassed to get it done by the eldest daughter. Say no more. In the spine area I should have been a little more accurate with my hole placement and used a ruler. I saved the day tho by doing an inner liner more accurate. But I forgot to take a picture. 
 
 
Because it was late I didn't take photos, basically I used a needle to sew each signature into the spine from the centre of each.
 
Will do another just to show you, but check out the videos on internet there is a mass of information out there to inspire you.
 
So, this is the finished journal, now in the hands of a 15 year old.
 
Front
 
 
Its been decorated in the same way as a  previous smaller journal I did for the  stampotique  design challenge but on a larger scale.
You can see the inner support I added while it stitching it together and I was going to stick it down but, George liked it loose, so, loose it is.
 
Back
 
 
 
 
Just one flap too on this version to keep pages tidy, holes were made in the back cover and the ribbon thread through to wrap around the front cover.
 
 
Hope you like it,
 
What ever next I ask myself.
 
Sue X
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment. x